Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's a beautiful life!


So for me 9/11 will be a constant reminder that life is short and there are way more important things in life than what we sometimes put at the top of our priority list.  With that I figured going outside with the kids and giving them a popsicle is WAY more important than laundry.  Since my little scare, I have really thought about what I want to do in a day.  So far each day at the top of the list is that I want my kids and husband to see me smile.  I want them to know I am SO incredibly happy with my life.  It's an amazing life.  The second thing on my list is that I want to see them smile if not laugh at least once.  So what's a better way to make a kid smile than to give them popsicles and play with them outside?  I have never given Brooke a popsicle of her very own, but she's to that stage now that she notices what Sky and Jett are doing and she wants to be just like them.  I knew there was no way to NOT give her one of her own.  So she took it and licked it like a pro.  I got a kick out of the WIDE OPEN mouth and the licking of the lips every so often.  It was a cherished moment.  Later tonight, Neils was at Target with Sky and Jett returning something.  He left me home with Brooke so that I could get some things done.  I have piles of laundry to put away and it always takes forever!  He knew it would be faster for me if the kids weren't there to get in my way and I could just throw Brooke in her exesaucer and turn on a show for her.  Well, he left with the kids and I found myself snuggling (nursing, I know I think I'm the one that can't give it up, not her, as much as I blame it on her) her to sleep and just sitting with her on the couch.  I couldn't put her down to take care of the laundry situation.  I thought about it this time, "which is more important RIGHT NOW putting away the clothes, or taking a minute to snuggle my baby?  Well, of course the obvious is what I did.  Neils came home to see me sitting there holding my baby amongst piles of clothes.  He just smiled cause he knew. 

3 comments:

Suzanne Plant said...

You made me cry -- what amazing insight you have.

Suzanne Plant said...

I found the perfect quote for you. I hope we can all learn this lesson sooner than later.

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

Sorry for the long comment!

andreaKphotography said...

When Aubrey was 6 weeks old we were at Primary's for a week with her because we thought she was having seizures, turns out she diagnosed with sleep walking and that is why she jerked when she slept and would grow out of it (which she has) From that moment on I was the same way you are... cherishing every moment and worrying less about what should be getting done. I am so glad you held her rather then do the laundry, great choice! They grow up fast and we have to hold on to those precious moments.