Saturday, September 13, 2008

9/11 for me was a 9-1-1 experience!

I really don't want to share this story.  It is something I will regret for a long time, but at the same time the number of lessons I learned in three hours is unbelievable and maybe I can help others that read this learn a lesson as well.  I have taken an oath to be more attentive, to not be absent minded, and to think things through before doing them.  I also want to share because I need to thank all of you that prayed for my dear little Brooke and to fill you in on what your prayers did for me.  I am so blessed to have an incredibly HUGE family, so when I need prayers said, I get a million sent at once.  There's at least one of them to be answered amongst so many.  On Thursday night, at about 8:45pm I came upstairs to put Brooke in her PJ's and to lay down with her to put her to sleep.  For some odd reason, I threw her up on my bed to sit while I searched for my pajama bottoms so I'd be more comfortable.  In the meantime Sky, who I had just told to jump in bed while I was getting Brooke in jammies had come in my room looking for me and saw Brooke up on my bed.  She jumped up and got Brooke all excited.  I noticed and I think I may have even said, "Be careful."  As I was walking over to get my pajama bottoms I looked over at the bed and watched (in what now seems like slow motion) Brooke fling her body backwards.  She does this occasionally when we're playing together but it's always onto me or a pillow.  This time it was off the side of my bed.  (My bed is higher than most off, it goes to my hip as I stand next to it.)  I watched from inches away her land on the top of her head and her body buckle.  I don't remember for the next 30 seconds or so what happened.  I know I picked her up.  I don't know if I screamed or if Brooke screamed or how Neils knew to come running up.  I just remember Neils meeting me at the end of the hall.  I passed Brooke off to him and said to him, "She's not okay, something's wrong with her."  I saw her limp body and her eyes rolling back into her head ( an image I never want to see again in my life, but that is burned into my memory forever) and Neils said in a stern voice, "Call 911!"  I did.  I was frantic, I screamed, I cried (without tears I was so freaked) and told 911 what happened.  Neils dropped down with Brooke while I was on the phone and gave her a Fathers Blessing.  He then took the phone from me, and talked to them and he told me to go downstairs with her and hold her in a comfortable position while we waited for the paramedics.  (I shake as I retell the story.)   In the meantime I frantically grabbed Neils' phone while holding Brooke and called our former hometeacher.   His wife Heidi is my visiting teacher and friend in the ward.  I called Seth and explained I needed him to come over immediately and that Brooke had been hurt.  He showed up even before the paramedics/fire department and he assisted Neils in giving Brooke a blessing with oil.  She at this point was awake and not limp, but didn't seem right.  You can imagine what was going through my head.  I tried to move her and she would cry a hurt cry as if maybe her neck was broken and it could only be placed in a certain position.  Her coloring was off, her eyes looked tired and heavy and I was a mess.  The paramedics arrived and tried to calm me down.  Brooke sat up enough to realize she didn't like the man who was touching and feeling her spine.  She seemed annoyed, which was a good sign.  They stayed for several minutes watching her and checking her out.  They told me that since she was alert and seemed somewhat responsive that either they could or we could take her to the hospital to be checked out.  If they took her they would have to strap her in a gourney and that might be a bit traumatic for her.  We chose to take her ourselves in the van knowing she would be more comfortable in her own chair.  As we were preparing to go, she seemed tired and that she was having trouble keeping her eyes open.  This is not like her in any way.  It always takes a small miracle and usually an hour of laying with her before she falls asleep, so I was scared to have her close her eyes.  I kept asking the paramedics, "Is it okay if she sleeps?"  (We've all heard, "don't let them go to sleep after a head injury.")  They said, "It's only a myth.  Her body has suffered trauma and it's relaxing itself so it can heal, it's okay if she sleeps."  So with that we got in the van and drove like crazy to Primary Childrens.  The fire department called ahead to tell them we were on our way.  In the van Brooke laid with her eyes closed.  I didn't like not seeing her eyes, it scared me to see them closed.  I was afraid of her going into a comma and never waking up again.  I sat there with my hand on her chest to make sure she was still breathing.  I kept asking Brooke to open her eyes and show me that she was okay.  I just wanted to see her eyes.  Every so often she'd open them and one eye didn't seem to be opening right.  I was freaking out thinking that maybe the one side of her brain was swelling and she couldn't open that eye.  When we got to the hospital, I ran in with her.  When I got to the counter to check in, she sat up in my arms and realized we were someplace odd.  It was then I had some sense that she was going to be okay.  She then pointed over to a wall of pictures that I could tell she wanted to go see.  When I said, "no, just rest on my shoulder" to her, she seemed upset and insisted I walk over to the pictures.  I felt that she might be okay.  I felt her stubborness and personality coming through.  Truly a good sign that things were okay.  While we waited with her, she became more and more alert and awake and insisted on getting down to walk and play.  Truly a miracle.  By the time we saw the doctor and went through the scenario she seemed to be back to Brookey-Brooke.  The doctor explained they could do a headscan to rule out the possibility that there is an underlying problem, but if it were his child he wouldn't go through that.  He would just keep a close eye on her through the night and monitor her through her activities in the next couple of days.  We agreed there didn't seem to be a need to put her through the headscan trauma and have her exposed to radiation.  So we were discharged and home around 11:30 pm.  Not the night we expected to have.  We picked up our kids from Seths house and went home.  Brooke had fallen asleep on the way home and we took her straight up to bed.  Neils and I laid in bed next to her replaying the events over and over, talking about details and our version of how it happened.  I kept seeing my sweet girls face of her eyes rolled back and her limp body.  I couldn't get it out of my head.  I finally asked Neils to tell me about work.  I needed something to take my mind off of it all.  By about 4 or 5 am I was able to fall asleep and woke up at 8:00am to make sure Brooke had moved and seemed okay.  She is absolutely perfect.  I know there was something wrong and now she is as perfect as can be.  I believe with my whole heart that it is only through the power of the priestood that I have a perfect little girl again.  I know she was healed by God.    Friday, Neils stayed home from work.  I was a bit paranoid watching her every move to make sure she REALLY was okay.  They said it was possible that after several hours we'd see swelling or a loss of balance and to check for that.  So I kept a close eye on her every move.  And now she's my little miracle baby.  PERFECT in every way!

7 comments:

Randi Ritchie said...

Wow! What an experience. I am soo glad she is doing fine. I was totally teary eyed reading that and even gasped out loud when you described seeing her fall! What a miracle!

dterryphotography said...

Ohmygosh!!! Our little family, too, had a similar experience many years ago and I felt my heart racing as I read your account. I'm *so* glad things turned out okay.

Cherish every moment...

Suzanne Plant said...

I have been out of town the past couple of days and had no idea this happened. I am so glad everything is okay. Tell Neils he is my hero for being there and for being worthy to bless and heal his baby girl. Give those sweet cheeks of hers a kiss for me. Love you.

The Allreds said...

So sorry you had to go through all that. Seeing something wrong with our children is the worst feeling in the world! But what a miracle that you experienced! Thank you for sharing the details. A gal in my ward told me of a similar experience she had in July on their vacation in Mexico and their baby landed on a stone floor. Her baby turned out just fine too! The Lord does watch over us all!

Tiff and Rand said...

WOW. I cried through most of reading this. What a terrifying experience! A few months ago I was at Tepenyaki with some girlfriends when a little boy was standing on his highchair and fell back right on his head onto the cement floor. I just kept thinking of what he looked like when you explained Brooke. His coloring was off, like a pale greenish color, his eyes wouldn't stay open and he wasn't crying AT ALL! Freakiest thing I've ever been through and I didn't even know him. I can't imagine going through that with my own child!!! I'm SO glad she's ok. I'm so glad you and Neils acted on it so quickly too and gave her blessings and everything. She is a gem and I'm glad she's still perfect. Love you.

Carin Davis said...

I have always known her as a sweet baby...and I am so grateful for this miracle. I am SOOOO sorry you had to experience it. It is a reminder to me to watch them more carefully. Life is so fragile.

andreaKphotography said...

That is so terrible. I am so glad it all turned out and she is back to her cute self. That had to have just been a nightmare. I went through something similar with Brady but he fell down the stairs of our deck on to cement. I was sick for days about it. I am so glad all is well with Brooke.