Saturday, June 13, 2009

This is more for me than it is for anyone else...

I use this blog as a way to keep track of things that happen in my life, so that I can either "slurp" it up and put it in a book, or use the stories as reminders when I am making my kids photo books. So sometimes there's not always a picture to go with my post, which is the case today.

This week was an eventful week for me. Jett has decided he's ready to go pee-pee in the toilet. I was so afraid to potty train him. He's been so terribly (more like deathly) afraid of the toilet and I was afraid it was going to take drastic measures to get to this point. Over the last couple of weeks he started staying dry at night. That was a huge step for him in itself cause it used to be that he would soak his diaper so much at night that it would often leak through and get even his bed wet. So, we praised him and told him how great that was. He did it about half the time over a the last two weeks. I was telling my mom this and she said she thinks he might be ready. I have tried along the way (every possible idea/trick but it would just make the process worse and I'd have to back off.) I told her I was afraid to try but I decided to take her advice and go for it, so boxer briefs it was. And success came too! I really couldn't believe how easy it went. Only a couple little leaks here and there but he always caught it and ran into finish. Day three and things are going pretty smooth and he feels so big! The funniest part is that a few weeks ago we were all at Walmart together as a family walking around, looking at toys. Jett really wanted some sword or lightsaber and begged his dad to get it. Neils said, "Jett, I'm so sorry I can't buy this for you. I have to spend a bunch of money on diapers so there's none left to buy toys. Just as soon as we can stop buying diapers I can buy you stuff." As soon as Jett was done going in the toilet that first time he rejoiced and said, "Now Dad can buy me stuff!!"

Brooke is adorable! That's nothing new. I just wanted to remember some of her little things, the things she's going to stop doing in time and if I don't write them down, I'll forget.
Ever since her birthday (and mine a week after hers) she's been walking around singing "Ha-ee, er day to you cha-cha-cha over and over again." Just this week, she's been drawing little things on paper, bringing the paper to me as if it's a card or present and singing that little song. It's so cute!

She also has this little head knod. If you ask her a question, she doesn't usually answer verbally with a yes or an uh-huh, she knods her head up and down in the cutest way. I love it so much that after she does it once, I usually find myself asking her other questions I know she'll say yes to, like "are you adorable?" and "are you my sweet girl?" She knods yes of course and it makes my heart melt. It's just so cute. When she does verbally answer me it's always, "sure" and not yes or uh-huh but "sure." When I think about it, that's usually how I say yes, "sure" so that must be why she does it. In any case, it's cute!

I'm so sad I could cry. I went to Sky's Spring Sing at Challenger this year to watch her perform her songs. I took pictures of her and pictures after of her with her best little friends and her teacher. They're gone. I don't know what happened to them. I didn't upload them to my computer and I can't find them on any of my cards. I'm devastated. Somehow in the mix of being busy, I've lost them and I'm crushed. I can imagine images of her and some with her friends that I wanted so bad to have in her photobook but they're gone. I'm so sad.

Sky is amazingly bright! She starts Kindergarten in the fall and she's so far ahead of the game, I just hope she's not SO totally bored. It's my biggest worry about her right now. I want her to fit in, I want her to be bright, but not awkward. I had such amazing friends growing up, some are still my good friends, I want her to have the same. I just want her to be able to look back at her childhood and have good memories like I do. It's just the beginning for her and it scares me. We talk at night before she goes to bed and often I get teary eyed listening to her sweet little voice. It's a good thing it's dark or she'd see me crying . I always ask her what the best thing about her day was and she tells me and ALWAYS follows it up with the most sincere "I love you mom." In my head, I think "even though I'm not always nice, and sometimes I get upset for no reason" but I know she still loves me.

This week I started working on Photo Books again of my kids. I realized in this last year of working on photography, I focused more on learning and getting the perfect image rather than taking the "every day life / point and shoot" pictures. I have made a vow to now mix the two. I used to be an awesome point and shooter (meaning I took millions of pictures even of uneventful things happening around the house) and now I feel like I've gotten to be a pretty good professional photograper (one that set up a pose, subject and background and get a great image). So now it's time I figure out how to mix the two so my kids can have great every day life professional pictures. My goal going forward is to share those every day life pictures on this family blog of mine.




1 comment:

The Jorgensen's said...

I'm glad I'm not the only mom that gets teary-eyed putting their kids to bed. I cry almost every night knowing Megan will be a little bigger when she wakes up.