Thursday, January 27, 2011

SEPTEMBER SECOND

A couple of years ago, about the time Neils and I started trying for this baby, Jett discovered that he was the only one in our family that didn't share a birthday month with someone.  Sky and Neils share October and me and Brooke share May.  He felt so left out.  It was a REALLY big deal to him.  So we told him, "well, then when you say your prayers you can ask Heavenly Father to send you a brother in September."  Jett's prayer began immediately, "Please bless that my baby brother will come on September 2nd (the day after his)."  We tried.  We tried for a good year before we began to wonder if there was something wrong.  I met with my OB to see what I could do.  I took many tests, all of which continued to come back that I was perfectly fine.  I could not have been more regular and exact in my cycle.  It seemed weird.  Neils even went and was tested, only to find out he was completely fine.  I was told after all the results were in, that this is what they called unexplainable infertility.  Not really what I wanted to hear.  Friends were beginning to say, "Well you have three kids..." But I just couldn't imagine Jett not having a brother, or that I'd only have three kids in the end.  I felt torn, knowing Neils and I were getting older by the second, the questions consumed me.  Do I just move on with my three and be grateful for what I have?  How long do I try?  I finally decided that if I wasn't pregnant in time to have a baby in September, that I'd move on.  I had to pick something and hold onto it.  I did.  The month that I THOUGHT I needed to be pregnant in order to have a September baby came and left.  I cried hard.  I cried to my mom and told her how devastating it was.  Her immediate response was, "no, you can get pregnant in two weeks and have a September baby."  Really?  I thought about it and she was right.  I mustered up some hope.  I was super positive and hung onto that hope.  I don't think it's any coincidence that we are pregnant and due in September.  That little prayer by Jett was said hundreds of times, sometimes three times a day and more than once in each prayer.

No comments: